Sunday, May 11, 2008

WELCOME ALL

MY FIRST POST

Welcome all to my blog about motorsports and Formula 1. My name is Alvin and I'm from Malaysia. I'm totally nuts about cars and naturally motorsports is right up my alley. I love rallying and used to watch it all the time. I used to not like F1 because I thought it was easy compared to rallying. In F1 they just go round the same circuit layout over and over again. I mean, how difficult can it be, right? Compared to rallying where the circuit is always different and they don't get a chance to test the circuit.

Boy, was I wrong! I got involved in a company here doing Formula 1 simulators for events and since then I fully understood the intricacies of F1 where even a slight change to the car or track makes a difference. The simulators are half a formula 1 car and run EA Sports F1 Challenge which is extremely realistic containing all the cars, tracks, teams and physics of F1.

You wouldn't believe the accuracy and level of detail simulated in the game. We started by setting fastest times and trying to improve our times down to the seconds. But after understanding the things that is involved in a F1 car such as downforce, brake force distribution, weight distribution, wings front & rear, radiator opening, etc. we are now only concerned about tenths of thousands of a second i.e. the last 3 digits.

The difficulty in improving your time with those 3 digits has given me a whole new understanding of F1 and how difficult it is for the drivers and teams. It makes watching the practice sessions, qualifying and the race that much more fun.

Well, I hope anybody who comes here will be entertained and informed. I will try to write my opinions as much as possible and include news relating to F1 as much as possible too. Tonight is the Turkish GP and Massa is on pole...again. Lewis is P3 and I'm hoping Kovalainnen will help to block Kimi while Lewis goes for Massa. Here's crossing fingers. Go Lewis!!!

No comments: