Monday, June 9, 2008

Hamilton says sorry but doesn't admit guilt - NEWS

Sunday 8th June 2008

Lewis Hamilton has, somewhat peculiarly, confessed he apologised to Kimi Raikkonen after their race-ending crash during the Canadian GP but refused to admit he was to blame for their prang.

The accident occurred in unusual circumstances on lap 19 of the race when Hamilton's McLaren collided with Raikkonen's stationary Ferrari at the end of the pit-lane. Raikkonen, along with the BMW of Robert Kubica, was prevented from rejoining the race by a red light that Hamilton either did not see or did not see in time to avoid the collision.

"I don't know what happened," Hamilton admitted. "I saw the two guys in front of me battling in the pit lane and I was trying to make sure I didn't get involved but then they stopped. By the time I saw the red light it was too late. It's unfortunate - I've apologised to Kimi but these things happen."

Asked whether it had been a "consolation" that Hamilton's race-ending mistake also proved terminal for his closest rival in the World Championship, the Englishman replied: "Not really. I'd rather it not happened. I was breezing it - it was going to be an easy victory."

No comments: