Sunday, June 8, 2008

Hamilton under no pressure to win title - NEWS

Saturday 7th June 2008

Lewis Hamilton claimed he felt no pressure because of his bid to become Formula One World Champion.

The McLaren driver goes into Sunday's Canadian GP leading the Drivers' Championship, three points clear of defending World Champion Kimi Raikkonen.

Hamilton finished joint runner-up to the Finn last season following a remarkable rookie campaign which saw him claim a podium finish in his first five races before notching his maiden grand prix victory in Montreal 12 months ago.

Hamilton remains the centre of attention for the media in the paddock and for the fans in the stands but the Englishman claimed he was just trying to stay focused on his job with McLaren.

"I don't read what's in the papers, I don't read anything as regards Formula One," said Hamilton.

"I lead a normal life out of Formula One and then I come here I do my job and do what I love doing.

"I'm aiming to shut it all out and put it at the back of my mind.

"I know how good I am so I just keep on doing what I'm doing and I'm enjoying it. So I don't particularly feel the pressure."

In the wake of comments from Raikkonen that he was mulling over his retirement from the sport when his Ferrari contract expires at the end of 2009, in part because he did not enjoy the demands of the job away from driving, Hamilton said he preferred not to talk shop with his fellow drivers.

He said: "I don't speak to many of them about this stuff. We talk about other things, we talk about girls, parties, cars and none of the drivers really talk about that other stuff."

No comments: