Wednesday, June 11, 2008

OF SAFETY CAR RULES

Reading about the many incidents and complaints about the safety car rules has made me realise what some drivers (i.e. Lewis, Nico and others) point out has been quite true. The safety car rule is sometimes silly and dangerous. I'm no expert so I can't yet comment on a solution but currently it is silly (or should I say "stupid"?) because it does ruin driver's races as we have seen many times and the part with the red lights when exiting is also stupid as it does ruin driver's races and can cause accidents (as in Canada).

But some comments from some drivers does point that nobody in their right mind would want a crash anywhere on the track, even the pitlane, especially the pitlane. Lewis has said that the SC rules are silly and it was substantiated by Nico Rosberg by his comments :

"In my whole career I have never watched the lights at the pit exit," he is quoted as admitting to motorline.cc.

Even Ferrari test driver Marc Gene admits that the current safety car rules are "absurd" and "silly". His comments were made to the Spanish newspaper El Mundo. But my comments are not in defence of Lewis Hamilton, even though I support him. He made a mistake and that's it. Calling him stupid would not help and would mean that Kimi was also stupid. Even though Kimi made his mistake at 300Kph, it's still a mistake. It does look stupid because it was made by a world champion with years of racing experience. If I were to stupidly defend Hamilton, I would say that at least Lewis is only in second year while Kimi has been racing for longer.

But where would this argument end. It's just an argument between different supporters, it will never end. So I won't get carried away and just say that it was a mistake. Learn from it and move on. The only thing I'm upset about is double standards. I hate double standards. It makes me so angry. Double standards across the world is enough with racism, we don't need it in sports. I'm upset that Kimi didn't get any penalty when he rammed Sutil but Lewis did. It's not about supporting Lewis or that I'm obsessed with Lewis. I want fairness and no double standards.

Lewis made a mistake and he paid the price. He's not perfect. Kimi also makes mistakes. World champions are not perfect either. But why the double standards?

No comments: