Monday, July 7, 2008

Lewis: By far the best victory ever

Re-published from Planet F1.
Sunday 6th July 2008

Lewis Hamilton has hailed his phenomenal victory in Sunday's British GP as "by far the best" he's ever had.

While some of his rivals faltered and came up short in the wet after opting not to change their tyres, McLaren and their star driver held their collective nerve.

To a standing ovation from a sold-out Silverstone crowd, Hamilton took the chequered flag a full minute ahead of second placed Nick Heidfeld, and in doing so moved into joint first in the Drivers' Standings.

"It is by far the best victory I've ever had," said the 23-year-old. "The conditions were bad and as I was driving I thought, 'If I win this, it will be the best race I've ever done'.

"On my last lap, I could see the crowd starting to rise to their feet, and I was just praying, praying, praying I could get the car round."

The Brit paid tribute to his team and his family. "The team did a fantastic job but I would like to dedicate this win to my family," he said.

"We've had some struggles over the past few weeks, it's been tough. But my family is always there for me."

Hamilton, who becomes the first Englishman to win the British Grand Prix since Johnny Herbert in 1995, added: "This morning, I wasn't feeling great.

"It wasn't until I got to the track and I saw family, friends and fans, and I started to get energy, so I have to say thanks to all of them."

No comments: