Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Hamilton: I'll still race my heart out

Monday 23rd March 2009

Lewis Hamilton insists he's still race his "heart out" even if he fails to start this Sunday's Australian GP from a strong position on the grid.

With McLaren struggling in pre-season testing questions have been raised about how the Woking team will do in this weekend's season-opening Melbourne race.

And comments coming from the team haven't been at all encouraging with team boss Martin Whitmarsh confessing to a performance shortfall while Hamilton himself recently said they may battle to make their way to the front of the pack.

But despite his earlier assessment, the defending World Champion insists he's going to Australia determined to get the best result that his car and himself can offer.

"My plan is to be at the front of the grid in Melbourne, but if I'm not able to start the Australian Grand Prix from the front of the grid, I'll still race my heart out - I can't wait to get back to racing," the Brit told The Times.

The Brit is also confident that between himself and team-mate Heikki Kovalainen they will do their utmost to resolve the issues McLaren have with their MP4-24.

"I've driven for McLaren for two years and, in both seasons, the team has developed a fantastic car," he said.

"At the moment, this year's car is a little behind the rest in terms of development, but I'm absolutely confident we will get stronger and grow as the year progresses.

"I have complete faith in my team... they are working so hard at the moment, putting in incredible hours and massive effort. And I'll do my bit, too.

"Both Heikki and I will work together to improve the car's pace. We're totally committed to working with the team to develop the best car possible."

On a personal level Hamilton has been hard at work improving both his physical and mental strength ahead of the new campaign, stating that he has never been more prepared than he is this year.

"I'm already better than I was last year in terms of my physical and mental preparation, in terms of the balance of my life," he added.

"So if things just continue to get better and I continue to work and improve my driving and understanding of the car, then I see no reason why we can't win more."

Source : Planet F1

No comments: