Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Lewis: It was business as usual without Ron

Tuesday 21st April 2009

Lewis Hamilton insists it was business as usual for McLaren at the Chinese Grand Prix despite the departure of Ron Dennis.

Dennis ended his 43-year F1 career last week and the Woking-based outfit started life without their former CEO with a seven-point haul in Shanghai - their best performance so far this season.

Although Hamilton admits he owes Dennis a lot for investing in him, he is nevertheless confident his successor will do a good job for McLaren.

"Certainly, this weekend I would have to say that it was business as usual, but that is how Ron built this team," he told his official website.

"Ron is an incredible man and we all owe him more than we could ever repay him for building this great team. Both my family and I are going to do our best to continue the progress we have made over the past two seasons with the team and hope that we can continue to make him proud of having invested in me.

"I was 12 when I first met Ron and, without his vision, I would not be here. I'll never forget - and neither will my family.

"Ron's decision to focus solely on the automotive side must have been tough, but I wish him the very best. Not that he'll need it - everything he touches turns to gold - well, normally!

"But seriously, Ron's departure brings with it an opportunity for change and I firmly believe that under Martin and our new chairman Richard Lapthorne and with Mercedes-Benz we have great potential for the future."

Source : Planet F1

No comments: