Lewis Hamilton has taken full responsibility for the mistake that saw him crash out of Q1 for the Monaco GP.
The 2008 Monte Carlo winner had looked strong throughout the weekend's practice sessions, finishing in the top seven in all three sessions. But it all came to nought on Saturday afternoon when he lost control of his car at Mirabeau.
The ensuing crash into the barriers saw his MP4-24's rear suspension too severely damaged for him to continue, meaning he will start the 78-lap grand prix from 16th place on the grid - and with little hope of bagging any World Championship points.
"My race weekend for a win is for sure over," he told the BBC. "I just don't know what I was thinking. I made a mistake. It had been going well all weekend."
The Brit took the time to apologise to McLaren for wasting what could have been a golden opportunity to finish on the podium - or even net his first grand prix win of the season.
"I apologise to the team for wasting their time, and at least Heikki (Kovalainen) is doing well," he said. "He is up there. I wish him all the best.
"Tomorrow I will do the best job I can to try and recover from it.
"It's just been tough, but you learn from these mistakes and they are bound to happen. It's unfortunate it happened in the first part of qualifying, but this is what makes you stronger."
Team boss Martin Whitmarsh later conceded that, unfortunately, this is something that can happen in Monaco.
"The speed was there to be among the quickest, so it's a shame what happened to Lewis after he has been among the fastest during all previous practice sessions but such contact with the guardrails can easily happen in Monaco," he said.
Source : Planet F1