Sunday, March 29, 2009

Button: We deserve this

Sunday 29th March 2009

An elated Jenson Button feels Brawn GP deserve everything they got from the season-opening Australian Grand Prix.

Just weeks after it appeared that Button and team-mate Rubens Barrichello might be forced to sit out the season after the collapse of Honda, Button led home a Brawn GP 1-2 after starting on pole.

"The way I'm feeling is like yesterday but times 100!" the 29-year-old said on the BBC.

"It was still tough but we came away with the win and I know I've said it before but I'll keep saying it, we deserve this, I really feel we do."

Button had a 35-second lead over second-place man Sebastian Vettel in the early stages of the race, but the gap was cut after the Safety Car was deployed following Kazuki Nakajima's crash on lap 17.

Once the Safety Car returned to the pits, the Brit found it tough to get going again and Vettel and Robert Kubica made sure they kept the pressure on him.

"I think it always looks easier than it is. The first few laps of the race were great for me, and then I could settle into a pace.

"But then when the Safety Car came out I struggled massively to get heat into the tyres, and the car was hitting the ground.

"Just before the restart I flat-spotted a tyre quite severely, so I was struggling a lot with vibration, and with the light as well. Being at the front should be easy, but it was not easy, I can tell you that."

Button admits the team are heading into the second race of the season high on confidence following their magnificent showing in Australia.

"Without the Safety Car periods it'd have been a whole lot easier and there's room for improvement, but we're going to enjoy this for now and then look forward to Malaysia with high hopes.

Source : Planet F1

No comments: